School uniform plays a valuable role in contributing to the ethos of Chorlton High School. Our uniform identifies students as part of our Chorlton High School community and instils pride in it. Being appropriately dressed helps students to develop a positive mind set for learning and supports them in being successful, creative, and happy.
Chorlton High School uniform
- White button neck shirt/blouse. Should be tucked into trousers/skirt at all times.
- Black, traditional school trousers. Full length. No chinos, jeans or ‘jean like’ trousers. No skinny jeans or leggings.
- Plain black school shoes or all black trainers. No white or coloured soles/rim/logos.
- Plain black socks or plan black/opaque tights. Patterned tights are not permitted.
- Blazer with embroidered logo. Compulsory for Years 7,8 & 9 and optional for Years 10 and 11.
- CHS skirt: Black traditional style material and regular length. Two styles available to choose from. Skirts are branded with a small black version of the school logo. Skirts must be of an appropriate length (maximum 2” above the knee and 4” below the knee).
- Knitted jumper or cardigan. Black v neck knitted jumper or cardigan with embroidered logo. Optional for Years 7, 8 and 9. Compulsory for Years 10 and 11 if they are not wearing a blazer.
- School tie. To be worn up to the top button and tied correctly. Five stripes should be shown. Please note, Year 7 students will receive ties in September, however other Year groups should wear the Year group ties that have been provided. If students have lost these they can purchase them from Monkhouse formerly known as John McHugh or school.
CHS PE Kit
- T shirt. Black shirt with embroidered logo.
- Shorts. Black shorts with embroidered logo.
- Socks. Black standard football socks.
OPTIONAL PE KIT ITEMS
- Sports top. Black with embroidered logo.
- Training top. Black with embroidered logo.
- Jogging pants. Black with embroidered logo.
Additional regulations and guidance
The following items are not allowed in school:
- Boots/fashion footwear above the ankle.
- Non-black trainers or sports/casual shoes.
- Hats or caps.
- Jeans & ‘jean like’ trousers, leggings or shorts.
- Hooded tops/sweat-tops/non-uniform cardigans.
- No extreme hair styles are allowed. Hair must be of a natural colour.
- A wristwatch only is allowed.
- One pair of small stud earrings in the lower ear. Large hooped or dangly earrings must not be worn for health and safety reasons.
- No facial, tongue or body piercings
Make Up is not allowed. This includes:
- Coloured nail varnish.
- False/acrylic nails.
- False eyelashes.
External coats/jackets are not to be worn inside the school building.
Where a headscarf is worn for religious reasons it must be plain black with no decorations or tassels.
All items of uniform should be labelled with the student’s name. Students who lose items of uniform/equipment should contact Student Services where lost property is stored.
Students should bring a bag suitable to carry their books (A4 size), writing equipment and sports kit for every lesson. All students are expected to take responsibility for their books and equipment. Lockers are available for students to hire and can be arranged through the school reception.
Failure to wear school uniform
All students are expected to attend school in full school uniform. Parent/carer cooperation in this respect is required. Only regulation uniform should be worn. Items that do not meet the school’s policy will need to be removed or replaced.
Students who arrive at school without correct uniform will be sent to the uniform store to ensure they are wearing correct uniform. They will be expected to wear the uniform provided, which will be collected from them at the end of the day.
If appropriate spare uniform is not available in school, parents will be contacted, and the student sent home to change.
Persistent poor uniform will result in the school’s behaviour consequence system being used.
In all aspects of uniform, school will make the final decision about what is acceptable.
Please note, John McHugh are now part of Monkhouse (Schoolwear Specialists).
Please use the Monkhouse website below for online orders.
- In-Store: John McHugh: Stretford Arndale Shopping Centre (Tel: 0161 865 3142).
- Online: CLICK HERE to access Monkhouse catalogue for Chorlton High.
If parents and carers are experiencing difficulty in purchasing school uniform, then please contact your child’s Head of Year for support.
Uniform price list - Monkhouse John McHugh
Unwanted and reusable uniform
Do you have any unwanted and reusable Chorlton High uniform? Please label any uniform donations to Mandy Roberts and hand in at the main reception.